- At beautiful Mo Ranch Retreat Center in the Texas Hill Country
- A fun 3-day weekend of photographing on this beautiful 500 acre ranch
- Arrive on a Thursday evening, depart on Sunday
- It’s a photographer’s paradise on the North Fork of the Guadalupe River with hiking trails and habitats including aquatic, riparian areas, grasslands, oak-juniper woodlands and limestone hills
- Don’t think of it as a workshop. Think of this as a fun photographers “retreat” to get away and just have fun exploring with other photographers.
- This place is beautiful and a perfect location to retreat from daily life.
- We'll do a “photographers’ scavenger hunt” to put everyone on a search to photograph specific things
- Mo Ranch offers lodging in motel-style rooms with two full-size beds and a full bath
- Shared dining in their dining hall offering a wide variety of savory and fresh buffet-style breakfast, lunch and dinner options, prepared daily by their culinary staff who use only the freshest ingredients
- Explore the fascinating architecture of the many buildings and old chapel on the ranch
- Participants can capture images of wildlife and birds throughout the property and along the river
- The wildflowers at Mo-Ranch and the nearby Hill Country habitat include Bluebonnets, Wine Cups, Indian Paintbrushes, Indian Blanket, Antelope Horn Milkweed, Milk Vetch, Spiderwort, Texas Lantana, Drummond’s Phlox, Texas Groundsel, Texas Vervain, White Prickly Poppies, Pink Evening Primrose and many, many more
- Weather permitting, we will also try to capture some beautiful sunrise photos and for those willing to stay up late, we’ll show you how to create great images of the beautiful night sky and Milky Way
- Let's have some fun with outdoor "light painting" techniques also!
- Try out some HDR photography techniques, if you want to learn that
- Attend/take the workshop with a photographer friend and you can share a room to reduce costs
- Bring along a non-photographer spouse/partner on the trip, and only pay a nominal added fee
Pricing includes photography workshop and activities.
Lodging and meals are extra.
Once you sign up for the workshop, you will be
given further information for booking your room and meal plan.
COVID-19 UPDATE: We will follow all CDC, national and local guidelines to ensure proper social distancing, masks, or whatever will be in effect at that time.
Want us to add another class like this? Let us know!
We add more classes throughout the year, based on student interest.
Upon arrival, Thursday afternoon, you will be greeted by the beauty and serenity of Mo Ranch. Once you're checked in, you might wander the grounds a little and then join the group for dinner, followed by an after dinner meeting.
We'll have a common meeting space we use to discuss activities and plans. You will have plenty of time to explore, photograph, relax, and have fun. We'll work on various group photographic projects, enjoying the wonder of Mo Ranch. Kevin will be there to help you with any photography challenges you might encounter and to answer any questions.
Weather permitting, you will have opportunities to go out with Kevin at night to photograph the night sky and play around with light painting techniques. If you're an early morning person, you can join the group to go out before breakfast and photograph the sunrise from one of the many overlooks above the Guadalupe River.
In our classroom time, we will discuss different types of photography and camera settings that work best, do some activities to enhance your artistic experience, and inspire you to maybe see the surroundings a little more "deeply" and use your photography as an expression of your gratitude for the beauty that surrounds you. We'll also go on a "photographic scavenger hunt" where you will be given a list of things to look for and photograph. We'll share the results of our experience in our classroom time. You are encouraged to bring a computer so you can sort through your photos and select some to share with the group.
We'll wrap up our activities on Sunday morning at sunrise followed by breakfast and we'll pack up and leave. Check out time is 11am on Sunday.
Would your non-photographer spouse/partner like to join you just to tag along for the fun?
They can join us for a nominal additional fee of $50.
What type of camera gear should I bring?
A DSLR or Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera would be perfect. Actually, all lens focal lengths from 15mm (ultra wide angle) to 400mm (telephoto) are really useful for photography at Mo Ranch. If your lenses don't cover that range, no worries at all! Come with what you have. If you have more questions about that, just ask Kevin! Also, bring a tripod for any night or early morning photography. If you want to play around with "light painting" techniques, bring a strong flashlight or maybe an electronic flash/speedlight (not required).
Is WiFi available?
Does the workshop price include meals and lodging?
No, you book that separately. We'll give you info about booking your lodging and meals when you sign up for the workshop. Lodging at their Pheasant Run hotel is $119/night. When signing up, you also pre-book your meals. Breakfast 7:30-8:30am $9.50. Lunch 11:30-1pm $12.25. DInner 5:30-7pm $14.50. (You would book meals for Thurs evening, all 3 meals for Friday and Saturday, and just Breakfast on Sunday.)
Check in time: 4pm on Thursday (or you could arrive a little early and just explore a bit, if you'd like, while you are waiting on your room)
Check out time: 11am on Sunday
yes, this is a porcupine :-)