- PERFECT for beginner and intermediate level photographers
- If you have been shooting in 'Auto' mode, you have been missing out on so many other great features in your camera. This class takes you beyond 'automatic'.
- Have you tried reading your camera manual and found it was no help? You're not alone! This class will help more than any camera user's manual.
- Learn the important fundamentals of photography and camera operation
- A perfect mix of classroom learning and exploring the ranch to put into practice what you learn in class, discover what you need help with, ask questions, then learn more in class
- Arrive on a Wednesday evening, depart on Sunday morning
- Attend/take the workshop with a photographer friend and you can share a room to reduce costs
- Bring along a non-photographer spouse/partner on the trip, and only pay a nominal added fee
A Photographer's Paradise at Mo Ranch in the Beautiful Texas Hill Country
- The ranch is a photographer’s paradise on the North Fork of the Guadalupe River with hiking trails and habitats including aquatic, riparian areas, grasslands, oak-juniper woodlands and limestone hills
- Mo Ranch offers lodging in private motel-style rooms with various bed options and a full bath. Very reasonably priced rooms.
- Explore the fascinating architecture of the many buildings and old chapel on the ranch
- You might have a chance to capture images of wildlife and birds throughout the property and along the river
- Weather permitting, we will also try to capture some beautiful sunrise photos and for those willing to stay up late, we’ll show you how to create great images of the beautiful night sky and Milky Way (tripod required)
Pricing includes photography workshop and activities.
Lodging and meals are extra.
Once you sign up for the workshop, you will be given further information for booking your lodging at Mo Ranch.
Upon arrival, Wednesday afternoon, you will be greeted by the beauty and serenity of Mo Ranch. Once you're checked in, you might explore the grounds a little and then join the group for dinner, followed by a short after dinner meeting.
We'll have a common meeting space for our classroom time. We'll do some classroom teaching followed by practice, exploring the ranch. We will be covering the fundamentals of photography, helping you learn how to better operate your camera. Then more classroom time, followed by more practice, etc. This is a great chance to get to know your camera more!
Weather permitting, you will have opportunities to go out with Kevin at night to photograph the night sky. If you're an early morning person, you can join the group to go out before breakfast and photograph the sunrise from one of the many overlooks above the Guadalupe River.
We'll wrap up our classroom activities on Saturday evening, but we will take one more shot at early morning sunrise photography on Sunday, followed by breakfast and we'll pack up and leave. Check out time is 11am on Sunday.
Would your NON-photographer spouse/partner like to join you on the trip, just to hang out, relax, and enjoy the ranch?
They can join us for a nominal additional fee of $50.
What type of camera gear should I bring?
A DSLR or Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera would be perfect. Actually, all lens focal lengths from 15mm (ultra wide angle) to 400mm (telephoto) are really useful for photography at Mo Ranch. If your lenses don't cover that range, no worries at all! If those terms don't even mean anything to you, that's ok! Come with what you have. If you have more questions about that, just ask Kevin! Also, bring a tripod for any night or early morning photography. We encourage you to bring a flashlight with you also.
Is WiFi available?
Does the retreat/workshop price include meals and lodging?
No. You book that separately. Once you book the workshop, we'll give you more information about booking your room. We usually stay in their Pheasant Run hotel lodging ($119/night) The food in their Wagon Wheel cafe is wonderful!
Check in time: 4pm on Wednesday (or you could arrive a little early and just explore a bit, if you'd like, while you are waiting on your room)
Check out time: 11am on Sunday
yes, this is a porcupine :-)