Dear friends and followers of my blog,
I believe each of us can make such a difference in this world simply by taking the time to get to know more people around us, and sharing in this thing we call “life.” Beyond social media, beyond Twitter and text messages, actually MEETING and talking to others is so important.
All sessions below are at my studio at 11740 Jollyville Rd. Suite 400 Austin, TX
Monday May 20th 7pm:
TED Talk – Fiona McInally
“The Missing Connections in the Fight Against Poverty”
We’ll watch this TED Talk and then we’ll discuss. Fiona McInally will join us for the discussion! It will be a great time to talk and ask questions.
Monday May 27th Memorial Day – No Class
Enjoy being with your family!
Want stay up-to-date with the group’s activities?
Send me an email () and I can add you to a new google group we set up to keep in touch with each other. .
What is this LifeInsights group all about?
I have opened up my photography studio as a place to connect with each other beyond “just photography” and get to know each other more and share in this experience we call “life.”
Community leaders (such as Austin’s Mayor Steve Adler) have been saying we should do more to get to know our neighbors, to connect with one another in the community, and engage in dialogue and friendship. So I decided to do my part, and with the help of friends, we started a book discussion group at my studio in NW Austin. After our first book discussion, we enjoyed it so much we started talking about doing another book study, as well as going out to dinner as a group to celebrate completion of our first book study.
We have since done more book studies and discussions and plan to continue, mostly on Monday evenings (but not every Monday Evening)! You can check our current schedule on this web page!
If you think you’d like to join us, just send me an email () and I can add you to a new google group we set up to keep in touch with each other. .
Our little group is called “LifeInsights” since that is what we are doing, exploring and sharing about meaningful life insights.
By the way, what does this have to do with photography? I mean, I am doing this at my photography studio, so what’s the connection? Well, my studio just seemed like a good place as any to do this since it has a classroom space. But yes there is a connection to photography. The images we create are influenced tremendously by how we see the world around us. In fact how we see the world around us influences our photography way more than the particular make and model of camera we own. So why not spend some time exploring meaningful insights about life? It might just affect your photography, and you will likely make some new friends along the way. And if you are not a photographer, you are definitely welcome to join us also!
Interested? Let’s talk. 🙂
Here’s what participants are saying they have enjoyed about the group:
- “Meeting new people and being able to discuss things in a non-critical way.”
- “Getting to know new people and sharing insights.”
- “I’ve enjoyed meeting all these people. It’s fun getting to know and try to understand each person’s quest to learn and be involved with these very different books.”
- “I have enjoyed the fellowship and connection with our group of ‘neighbors.’ I like hearing others’ points of view and gain more understanding of whatever we’re discussing. I look forward to visiting with this group of friends now, whatever the activity.”
- “I really like everyone too. They feel like family!”
Here are some previous activities we’ve done:
- Documentary – Watch and Discuss
Brene Brown: “The Call to Courage”
- “Meet the Author” Session and Potluck Dinner with Author Darius Pettway
- Book Discussion of “A Chance To…” by Darius Pettway
Darius is working to restore opportunity to young adults by providing them with tools of leadership, self-empowerment and conflict resolution.
- TED Talk Discussion Forum
- “We Need to Talk About an Injustice” – Bryan Stevenson
- “My Stroke of Insight” – Jill Bolte Taylor
- Dinner at Nancy’s Sky Garden (Cedar Park)
- Book Discussion: Better Than Before: What I Learned About Making and Breaking Habits by Gretchen Rubin
- Dinner at Almarah Mediterranean Cuisine (620/Lake Creek Parkway)
- Dinner at Kerbey Lane (Anderson Mill/183)
6pm Monday December 3, 2018
- TED Talks – Discussion Forum
- Do Schools Kill Creativity? Sir Ken Robinson
- Bring On the Learning Revolution Sir Ken Robinson
- Book Discussion: The Last Arrow: Save Nothing for the Next Life by Erwin McManus
- Documentary and Discussion: Finding Vivian Maier
- TED Talks – Discussion Forum
- The Power of Introverts – Susan Cain
- The Surprising Science of Happiness – Dan Gilbert
- Your Elusive Creative Genius – Elizabeth Gilbert
- Book Discussion: “29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life” by Cami Walker
- Dinner at Kerbey Lane
- Book Discussion: The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are” by Brene Brown